How we use your medical records
Important information for patients
- This practice handles medical records in line with laws on data protection and confidentiality.
- We share medical records with those who are involved in providing you with care and treatment.
- In some circumstances we will also share medical records for medical research, for example, to find out more about why people get ill.
- We share information when the law requires us to do so, for example, to prevent infectious diseases from spreading, or to check the care being provided to you is safe.
- You have the right to request a copy of your medical record.
- You have the right to object to your identifiable information being used for medical research and to plan health services. To register an OPT OUT from this use of your data please register your preference at the National Opt Out website or www.nhs.uk
- For information regarding the use of data in conjuntion with the EAST ANGLIA DIABETIC EYE SCREENING PROGRAMME please see below.
For any further information please go to www.eadesp.co.uk
East Anglia Diabetic Eye Screening Programme
What personal data do we collect about you and where from?
- Information from your eye screening appointment (results and images),
- your GP Practice and the Hospital Eye Service will be used to assist in your ongoing care.
- The DESP can access your full name, NHS number, gender, date of birth, ethnic group, phone numbers, correspondence address, GP Practice details along with details of your diabetes care.
Who do we share your personal data with?
- The DESP keeps information about you and your diabetes care to ensure we maintain an accurate register and deliver a safe and effective service.
- NHS England have commissioned Health Intelligence to run the local service as part of the national programme.
- Data security arrangements protect your privacy and ensure that your data is only accessed by your Retinal Screener and healthcare professionals involved in your care.
- This data is only kept for the period of the contract.
Who has access to your personal data?
- The DESP engages Yakara Ltd, an appointment reminder voice messaging service and Synertec Ltd, a letter dispatch service to support the programme.
- Access is only for a short period of time to allow telephone calls, letter printing and dispatch to occur.
- Your GP Practice works with the East Anglia Diabetic Eye Screening Programme (DESP), who will access your data if diabetes is indicated in your record.